Visa Grant Delay 189

SBS seems to be saying that DHA is going to be prioritising 189 NZ stream applicants in the upcoming visa year, and actively pressuring them to apply for PR: https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/australia-s-migrant-intake-to-drop-massively-by-80-per-cent-in-2020-21

This may mean that they want to avoid processing offshore visas

This is an extract from the treasury outlook released on the 27th of July.

They have relaxed requirements to encourage NZ citizens to apply for Permanent visa in Australia.

This seems to be the way the skill program is being reshaped.

If they are saying this is the reason to keep pilling up PR applications may be mere speculation at this stage as the budget is expected by October and just then they will clarify further on this.

The transparency of their visa system is appalling. I get that we are in unprecedented times but there has been zero communication from DHA. Clear indication they have no idea what is going on. The fact that they are now manipulating the system to allow kiwis in is proof of how ridiculous this is.

Well
They do what it’s convenient for their interest.

For instance, They are now processing student visas because Universities are desperate and It’s the third biggest industry of the country. After they graduate, Government doesn’t care anymore. No more cash flow for Universities. They have a graduate visa option only to lure them. Interest in them is over when It’s time for them to apply for permanent residency
They don’t hesitate to change the skill list or immigration policies ( visa settings) leaving many people out. Unless they do it on purpose to keep people studying and changing their major at a cost of time and money.

The last two months invitations rounds they invited people with 85 points in occupations that were at 95 to 100 points. This to let more people in from the occupations they wanted. Like a game.

This is what is happening now with visa applicantions.

It takes years of life and struggle to learn how this works. If many of us had better understanding of this before embarking in this process, we would have done things differently and be part of the game instead of puppets.

There is a documentary series being aired on SBS on this visa issues. There will be an episode addressing what international students go through to get PR.

You speak words of wisdom. This is a game; had I known what I was getting myself into, I would’ve avoided countless wasted hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars and put it to good use elsewhere
 where I’m not just another number and where my commitment to this endeavour isn’t handled like gum you throw away once it’s lost its flavour.

Calling it a dehumanizing experience is an understatement. And for the ignorant that say “well why don’t you just bloody look elsewhere or go back to your home country” - well it’s a bit too late for that now isn’t it? Nobody tells you how toxic and expensive of a journey this is. Certified immigration agents (and the DHA’s site) need to clearly state the arbitrary nature of PR routes.

Venting won’t change a thing, but I suppose it’s comforting to know that I’m not the only one that feels this way (though I’m not surprised).

You’re right, It’s late now. It’s wisdom after struggle, pain and time. I would have preferred to be told this from day one and make other decisions, maybe give the chance to other options.

This makes you older and leave you with reduced options afterwards.

There is not much honesty on this process. Student agents are not open about this because they just want an enrolment from you for them to get paid. I went to see a lawyer before making some decisions on this journey. He warned me on some things, but he couldn’t predict back then how bad this was going to become.

This forum helps to support each other. I wish we become a strong community and raise a voice on this issue to get our visas granted.

1 Like

To be clear, this isn’t to let kiwis in - it’s to convert the kiwis already here into residents (which seems pointless, given kiwis here on a non-protected SCV are less of a burden on the system due to our ineligibility for NDIS and Centrelink, but our on average higher incomes paying full taxes - our visa is a temporary visa, with all the negatives that entails).

The only reason I can see to do this is to pad out the net migration figures (consuming 189 Skilled Independent places) without actually bringing in any migrants. It’s arbitrary and it’s weird.

Hi
I am a nurse though
lodged in april 2019 from.india
 Was hopeful to get decision in mid march but then the things got other side
now waiting 
and its over to 15 months
deeply affected by lockdown and immi delaying

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t know this so it helps. What I find a problem personally dealing with is the fact that they are placing people who applied nearly two years ago at the back of the pile and then changing the system to allow recent applications being granted to fill the gap. It is beyond unfair.

This country is democratic meaning people should be accountable for this change. For a country whom has a large dependency on skilled migration it seems bonkers that they don’t understand the ramifications.

How can we raise this issue?

I have suggested to raise it to MP if your in Australia.

Check below article. An immigration agent indicated that offshore PR processing may recommence by the end of the year.

Given you’re a nurse you should be getting a grant, but it seems they’re now focusing on onshore applicants. To be frank, this is all pretty confusing.

Yea
i heard the grants wl b by end of this year
but my case falls in 2018 -2019 year
 Hopes are needed to carry wd ourselves

My case is kind of interesting in the sense that I applied onshore on 11 June 2019 and then moved out of Aus. on 01 Sep. 2019. I called DHA about this a few days ago and they said your application will still be treated as an onshore application, although I don’t completely trust their answer, as the person, who was talking to me was giving only generic responses and she did not have any idea of technicalities at all.

I didn’t know you can move out of the country while you’re on a bridging Visa. I thought you’re tight to it.

I understand you don’t trust too much on what the lady said. What does your agent say?

I have been told some visas require you to stay in or out by the time of decision depending where you applied from and the type of visa you’re applying for. This is a bit confusing.

I know
There are many people in this forum waiting that long

Guys, i have a query

I have applied PR in july 2019 and at onshore.

We are expecting baby in December. I would like to know when do we need to intimate DHA about this?

I’ve lost hope. Lodged onshore in November 2018 with all Australian points (academics, experience etc). No contact by the department till date.

They don’t give a damn. I’m very well convinced they have their own hidden agendas. Maybe I should have sneaked in on a boat, rather than spending thousand and working my arse off as a professional.

1 Like

There is an statistic available on freedom of information where DHA was asked on hand cases aged between 9 to 12 months as of the 20th of June.

It looks like the total number is 455.

It would be better to ask for cases on hand older than 12 months and why not, number of cases processed in less than 6 months that were lodged during the same period and most recently 2020, what occupations and lodgement date, as well as delay reasons.

If numbers show they have neglected old cases, this could be useful to document a complain.

You can move out of Aus. at any time, the only things of note is you cannot go back to Aus. unless you are on bridging VISA B. I did not bother though, I did not apply for Bridging visa B.

I had applied for two visas, 485 and 189, for 485 visa you have to be in Aus. when the decision is made on your application but for 189 you don’t have to be in Aus. at the time of decision.

I did not apply through an agent, I did all the work myself.