Waiting for PR (soon passing 6 month mark)

Awaiting Approval7m

NancyLyz

Hi All,

I’m currently in the US and waiting for my Express Entry application to be approved (7/29/2019 will reach the 6 months processing time). I currently have a valid multiple-entry visitor visa on hand for Canada. I want to move to Canada to be with my partner ASAP.

My question is: Should I just move to Canada now and wait for my PR there?

From what I’ve read, CIC does not forbidden people from doing so but they do not recommend people making plans for moving to Canada permanently before getting their PR approval.

And since IRCC won’t provide a timeline for EE application passing the 6 months mark, I’m afraid that it’d take another half a year to a year for my application to get approved. I’m not worried about income since my partner can support me and I can take online courses to kill some time, maybe even prepare for grad school or get a certification. I have plenty of savings as well. And not booking flight tickets and moving companies ahead of time can be costly.

So here are a few factors that are affecting my decisions:

1. Not knowing when I’m moving up there is taking a toll on my relationship. I don’t mind waiting as long as I’m with my partner or at least we have a certain date. The uncertainty kills any future plans.
  2. Life in the US isn’t cheap and I’m not necessarily saving much money these days. Once I move to Canada I won’t be able to work for a while but my partner already has a place so I won’t be paying rent.
  3. I’m looking to get back to Grad school soon so I can sure use some time to prepare my school application. I want to apply for Grad school as a permanent resident and do it part time to save on tuition.
  4. I’m worrying whether my change of address will further delay or even jeopardize my EE application. I’d like to know if anyone has had experience and if it had worked out.
  5. I can always head back to the US for activating my PR or head anywhere for a vacation by the time my PR approval arrives (even if it arrives right after I move everything to Canada).
  6. I’m not sure how the border office will question my stay in the Canada. I’m afraid that the border officer will not allow me to stay for the full length of 6 months considering I have an active PR application.

Any suggestions, advice, or comments?