Travelling during PR application

Hi Guys,

I have few questions and need your expert advice!

I have applied for Canada PR (me and my spouse) through express entry under FSW program. I received my AOR on October 10, 2017. We had to request an extension as we were waiting for FBI PCC from the USA. [FBI PCC was the only pending document]. We finally received the PCC in January 2018. My questions are as below:

• Does Canada govt start processing the background checks immediately upon sending AOR or do they wait until they receive all documents? My understanding was that they begin the background checks immediately as it takes about 2 months based on what I have read in various forums while waiting for the pending documents.
  • My wife was in India during when we submitted our application, can she wife travel to the USA now while our application is in the process?
  • In case we get PPR during her stay in the USA, can we submit our passport to the Canada consulate in the USA? Will that cause any problem?

Many thanks in advance for your help!! Looking forward to your valuable response.

Hey mare,

1. No one really knows. I assume background checks should not take long time, unless its an external checks with external agencies.
  2. Yes, she can, she can update her details later, usually, after your last visit you need to provide updated PCC (some at least argue so, CIC is not clear on that post ITA).
  3. You can request via CSE and explain and see if they will entertain it. They usually do.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response. I thought PCC is required if a candidate has stayed over 6 months. Getting PCC from FBI is a long waiting process as it takes about 4 months. You think I would require to resubmit her FBI PCC even if she stays in the USA for a month or two?

I was just curious about the PR process as I had submitted my application over 4 months (pending PCC) and and 3 weeks since submitting PCC, so was not sure if they would begin or wait for all documents. Also my status hasn’t changed except for the medical passed.

Lastly, can we update her address while our PR application is in process ?

Sorry for repetitive questions but just wanted to get some insight. Thank you again!!

I think above, you said you already got FBI sumarry check for your wife? On CIC website, it says that if you have travelled again to the country after obtaining pcc, that pcc has to be refreshed. It does not mention if the same is applicable after eapr has heen filed.

If your wife going to the US for the short period of time (and total stay is less than 6 months) then you are right.

You can update the address by raising CSE.

In terms of wait, you are FSW, you are already waiting more than average, so in theory you can expect ppr any time. About 20% of fsw wait more than 6 months

All the best

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response. I guess, it is now the matter of wait n watch.

Thank you again!