Is it must to provide reference from employer for assessment?

If you are unable to obtain an employment reference on a company letterhead from your employer, a third party official Statutory Declaration written by work colleague may be considered. The Statutory Declaration must be written by a third party work colleague; NOT written by yourself. Self-written statements submitted as a Statutory Declaration will be assessed as not suitable