COVID-19 Pandemic- Travel advice to Australia

Hi Guys,

Me and my wife have received PR (SC-189) in the first week of February. We have already put down papers in our current organizations, serving notice period and also have booked our flight in the first week of June from India to Melbourne via Colombo. But now we are really stressed out due to the current situation caused by COVID-19. We have lots of queries bothering us at this moment…

  1. Is there going to be a scarcity of odd jobs due to lock down of certain businesses like cafes, restaurants etc. in Australia. Since they will provide us an income during our initial days in Australia.
  2. Will there be significant effect on the hardcore industries making it difficult to find suitable jobs in our career profiles?

We are not sure at this moment, if we should defer our plan of migration and till how long. :confused:

Need advice from those who are already in Australia (especially Melbourne) or traveled to Australia recently would be helpful.

Hi Prabh1802

I am living in Perth, yes there are impacts on the economy. Because of the corona govt.organized isolation and quarantine are happening so this will have a huge impact in businesses. Just now the govt introduced a total travel ban too.

check the following links too

If you can wait for another two three months you asses the situation and can make decision.

Regards, DB

It’s very disheartening :unamused:

Hope all these problems will get resolved in a months time.

It appears there will be a massive shortage of jobs in those industries, and others, due to many of these places closing or trimming down.

Supermarket jobs are also scarce. Coles normally gets 400 job applications per day, but just a few days ago they received 36,000 applications in one day…

Make sure you have enough funds to be able to survive for quite a few months after you arrive.

Situation seems to be grave, postpone your plans… talk to your organisation and revert your resignation.

Im in Melbourne

We are in a similar situation, however my wife at least has a job lined up in Sydney. We are worried about border closures and lack of flights to actually get there in May, and then we have to self isolate when we arrive…

So you haven’t booked your flight yet?

ISCAH posted this on Facebook. It says permenent visa holders at offshore who are yet to enter can still travel.

Following is the post

Update regards Temporary visa holders stuck overseas or visas run out etc

The Immigration minister met with the MIA today and here are the notes from that meeting …

Report to MIA members Minister Tudge and John Hourigan FMIA, National President MIA re Travel ban

The teleconference meeting was attended by representatives of the leading industry groups across Australia, including the Australian Industry Group, Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Business Council of Australia, regional Australia Institute, Migration Council of Australia and Department of Home Affairs representatives.

The meeting discussed a variety of policy issues and impacts related to the travel bans with a surprising amount of common agreement on how these should be managed. The Government is very conscious of the significant and adverse impact the travel bans are having on Australians, Australia’s goods and trade, on Australian businesses small and large, and not least on temporary visa holders. The Department is attempting to manage the situation with as light a touch as possible within the current circumstances. The consistent message was that the Government and Department of Home Affairs are attempting to be as flexible as possible within the constraints of the legislative framework. As members are aware, while policy can be changed relatively easily, legislation takes a lot longer.

The Department is attempting to make it as simple as possible for onshore visa holders to remain lawful. This includes taking a light touch approach to onshore lodged visitor visas, no further stay waivers and extensions of visa validity where possible. The relaxation of student visa working conditions for supermarkets and aged care are further example of this.

Strategies to ensure essential services and critical infrastructure are maintained are being considered including the necessity for essential and critical occupations to be permitted to enter Australia. Health workers and oil and gas rig changeover crews were mentioned as examples. Approaches aimed at ensuring the security of food supply by adjusting arrangements for working holiday makers and agricultural sector seasonal workers are also under consideration.

Adjustment to the travel restrictions for temporary visa holders who have already established a presence in Australia may be considered, most likely on a case by case basis. The Government is also aware that visa holders who lose their livelihoods may become very vulnerable within our communities and are looking at services to alleviate this. Those who have been granted a permanent visa offshore are still permitted to enter Australia, even where they have not previously been to this country. Visa processing, for GSM visas in particular, will continue within the constraints of the situation.

Finally, the timing of the curfew was discussed with Minister Tudge explaining that 9 pm was chosen to coordinate with the 12 midnight NZ ban implementation and to give Australian border officials time to notify airlines of the travel restrictions. As members can see from the above report the meeting was confined to the discussion of policy settings and not to the specific detail of visa subclasses or visa holders circumstances. This report is provided to MIA members to provide them with insight into the direction of the Government’s and the Department’s thinking at this time. The National President and the MIA cannot answer in any more detail as yet on the specific strategies that may be developed as outcomes from this meetings.

Not yet - we are trying to wait as late as possible as the airlines are shifting policies almost everyday. Qantas and our local carrier SAA have stopped direct flights to Sydney, and Singapore are now stopping transit through their airport. This leaves us with Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and Cathay - we are thinking of monitoring the situation and then booking a few days before. Have you deferred your plans?

At least we know we will be let in to Australia if we arrive!

No my flight is in first week of June, I am going to wait till mid of May.


Due to global COVID-19 restrictions, DHA has issued IED (Initial Entry Date) exemption notification for 189, 190, and 491 visa holders.

Has anyone traveled after notified IED using that exemption notification and How was your experience? Was the airline cooperative in issuing boarding pass and How you were treated by the immigration/Australian border force?

I have been granted 189 in Feb 2020 but travel till now. IED is Feb 2021.

Hi @haroon1986 I am thinking about the same. Did you get some update?

And, can you share the link to the exemption notification for 189, 190, and 491 visa holders on DHA website?


I haven’t got any update. I posted the same on various FB groups but couldn’t the response I was looking for.

People have tried to get into Oz and have bought tickets but they are postponed and cancelled without prior notice.

It’s not available on DHA website. You can find it on various FB groups or MARA agents websites. I have a copy but I don’t know how to attach it.

You can get one by applying for the IED exemption by using the standard procedure. You will be sent a system-generated email with a notification attached.

I haven’t applied though. My IED is Feb 2021 so planning to wait till the end.