7 success secrets for new comers in Canada

Share on whatsapp, author is unknown, but thanks to him!

7 success secrets for new comers in Canada

From the time you land in Canada, this is a phrase you will hear repeated very often and I too wanted to welcome you to this wonderful country and its people.

From Mumbai originally, I had a stint in the Middle East covering Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Dubai before landing in Vancouver, Canada in 1998. Since then, I have authored a best seller Arrival Survival Canada, launched an award-winning magazine for immigrants and now I am partner in the largest digital space for immigrants with Prepare for Canada, where you can watch free webinars and get newsletters on every aspect of Canadian life.

Additionally, I continue to address thousands of immigrants across the country every year. I am constantly asked one question: “How does an immigrant succeed in Canada?” In my opinion, there are seven major conditions for success. You can watch the videos of the 7 Success Secrets for Canadian Immigrants here.

Learn the language. Let’s face it, if you don’t learn English all your skills will be hidden away like a gem in a cave. If you moved to Germany or Japan, you would make a conscious decision to learn your new country’s language. Why then do some immigrants settle for less than the best that Canada has to offer by refusing to learn English? I encourage immigrants to make a real effort to learn English and to speak it at least three to four hours a day. Remember, the spoken and written English in Canada is higher than the everyday usage in India.

Stay positive. I have seen the same situation so often that it has become predictable: a new immigrant meets with resistance and barriers in job finding and then sits with friends from the same ethnic community who moan about life in Canada. Before you know it, the negativity seeps into the newcomer’s being. If this starts happening to you, think about why you were excited about moving to Canada, and focus on all the great things you want to accomplish here.

Embrace Canada. Remember your dreams about coming to Canada? Well, they have come true. Now go out and enjoy all that is Canadian. The very act of going out and discovering the sights of the city you have adopted will make you value and enjoy the beauty of Canada and its people.

Have a Plan B. Some people think that in order for immigrants to succeed, they need to start at the bottom. I do not agree with this, but believe you should have a Plan B for your life in Canada. Plan B means having flexibility in what you intend to do in Canada. That very flexibility changed me from an advertising professional to a successful publisher!

Stay clear of ethnic silos . I do understand that moving to a new country can be very scary. A lot of immigrants tend to move into an ethnic community that matches their own background. While this may be comfortable, I personally believe your true growth in a new country will come from moving out of your comfort zone. When you have friends of all nationalities, you will learn a lot more. Usually, when your friends are from your own country, many of your discussions centre on the past and life “back home.” You need to look at the future and at Canada, your new home!

Take risks. A strange thing happens to all of us in our journey to Canada - we take a huge risk and leave our comfort zone to move to the unknown, yet once we get here we hesitate to take risks. Take calculated risks to achieve your success

Volunteer, Mentorship and Networking. These are the three pillars of connections for newcomers. Volunteerism leads to getting the all-important ‘Canadian experience’ and a mentor will help you get the inside on work in your profession. Lastly, networking is critical in Canada and will help you connect with peers within your community and profession.

The authors are not unknown… here they are: http://arrivalsurvival.com/the-book/about-the-authors/

Thank you much for letting us know! really appreciate it.

Thanks for this